Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Week In The Life: Sunday

This morning started with an aggravating imitation of a storybook cock-doodle-doo from a rooster who will soon feed a family if he doesn't get the hint that not only does he anger me in the early A.M., but the thought of him angers me at any old time of the day. Some mornings he finds different people to tick off but this morning, he fixed his beady eye on my part of the house. So at 5:12 I forcefully tossed my blankets off me, causing them to twist in true Kansas Tornado fashion. After a little over 30 seconds spent groping around for the doorknob, I turned back for my glasses. Then, at last reunited with my vision, I went off to find that trespassing pest.

There he was in the yard, surrounded by a few hens who by God's grace endure his endless squawking day after day. I looked down and saw a little rock perfectly suited for my purpose. I picked it up and threw it....to be honest with ya'll, I have no excuse for how pathetically far away that rock was from my target, since I got new glasses a few months ago. It may be due to the fact that my sister took all my athletic genes, in addition to her own. Or perchance because the last throwing sport in which I was engaged was 2nd grade softball, unless the food fight for my 16th birthday party counts. Regardless, I felt compelled to try to redeem myself particularly since the rooster hadn't yet noticed the change in scenery. My next rock at least got his attention, I am proud to say, and he moved a few hesitant steps away in a westward direction. Or maybe I was eastward, northward, or even southward...heck if I know. I never did get around to Boy Scouts. Anyways, it gave me hope.

Picking up the next rock I regretfully got a bit of dirt beneath my nails and for a moment I faltered before regaining my Stone Cold Hunter mindset. And then I launched my missile of revenge.....To break the suspense, I'll just tell you that I didn't exactly make contact. BUT my special little rock made a satisfactory thunk, and that got bird-brain moving. Then a strong feeling of awkwardness struck. Our house sits on a corner, a corner subject to much traffic. Thankfully no one was there to witness my disheveled display of desperation. So then, a triumphant return to bed followed by a few more hours of blessedly undisturbed sleep. Then I woke up and read my Bible. And then prayed that God would kill the rooster in a quick lightening storm. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. I may have also reminded him that people around here love fried chicken, but the closest KFC is 40 minutes away. Hence my brilliant solution. But apparently He has different plans for the little turd, that are greater than mine. Even though I still think my plan was pretty great.

When I finally rolled out of bed, rooster free, and clumped to the kitchen for tea and my daily bowl of Bran cereal there sat two of my fellow teachers and a most adorable married couple, Adam and Abby. They live in the little flat connected to our part of the house, but due to the two mattresses in our living room, I accurately assessed that they had joined us for the night. Why? Well, after a mini roadtrip up to East London on Friday to pick up their new car (New, as in old, but new for them. For the record.) and a sleepover with the Agee family, they arrived home here on Saturday night only to discover that Adam's bag, accidentally left behind in the Agee household, also had their keys to the flat. So, instead of beating the padlocks off the door, Abby decided to spend the night on our floor and then make the two hour trip up to East London this morning for the second time in three days. Erika, a temporary teacher who's with us for a few more weeks, coincidentally needed a ride up to East London because she is joining up with a small team headed to Transkei for the week. With 15 minutes to spare, I decided to join in for no other reason than to get out of town. Off we went, soon stopping at a gas station where I ran in to buy wings in the form of Red Bull. Sufficiently pumped full of caffeine, we rocked out to some good tunes and enjoyed the scenery. Upon arriving at the Agee's house, I was presented with Dr. Pepper that Adam and Abby had bought me, and left in the Bag-That-Caused-Much-Trouble. I sat in silence and tasted heaven. Then we went on an outing to a restaurant on the beach. Good food. Good beer. Good company.

All in all, it was a day of excellent conversation, great people, and really really really amazing beverages.

No comments:

Post a Comment